It’s the Bratwurst, Stupid!
What makes the RAWROD a must-attend springtime event?
The great scenery?
The 100 miles of pedaling?
Yes. Certainly. But I can find those things anytime. Indeed, the White Rim, and bicycles, and good friends, are only a small part of why the Ride Around the White Rim in a Day is always one of my favorite rides of the year. I start looking forward to the weekend in late January, knowing that it will invariably arrive sometime in late April, ushering in the spring and the long, singletrack-laden days of summer. I look forward to the wide-open horizons, the delicate sandstone towers, and the never-ending winding road. But more than any of that, more than the blue and the red of sky and earth, more than the campfire stories, or the camaraderie, and long-anticipated arrival of spring, there is something else that makes the weekend one of—if not the very—best of the year.
And that something is this:
Fatty’s beer boiled brats.
If there is a corporeal manifestation of nirvana, these are it.
How, you might be wondering, does one make beer boiled brats? Easy:
1. Boil brats over low heat in PBR, and other secret ingredients, until fully cooked.
2. Grill brats over an open fire. Juniper wood is preferable, but any will do.
3. Wrap in Kenny’s homemade bread.
4. Smother in spicy brown mustard.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until belly is full (2-3 repetitions is recommended).
7. Sit back and watch the stars explode above the empty desert.
I’m already looking forward to April 2012.